Copy between drawings without using Cut & Paste
Here is a trick that I find many people are not aware of. It is possible to copy geometry from one AutoCAD drawing to another without using traditional copy and paste methods.
There are a couple of rules.
- Both drawings must be open in the editor
You will not be able to specify an exact base point.(See text below the graphic)
Here is how to do it.
- Start by getting both drawings visible at the same time.
- A quick way to do this is with the SYSWINDOWS command, then specify the Horizontal option.
- Next, zoom both drawings to the approximate area that you need to see in each one.
- Now, select the items to copy.
- Using the left mouse button pick on a selected object (but NOT on a grip) and hold down the mouse button.
- Now drag the selected items to the other open drawing and release the left mouse button when you are ready to drop them.
See this in action below:
UPDATE: As JohnEng points out in the first comment below, use the RIGHT mouse button to do this trick and when you release the button, a shortcut menu will appear with some more choices, including "Paste to Orig Coordinates" - Thanks JohnEng.